To advance coaching to the highest standards of universal excellence
International Association of Coaching (IAC)
The purpose of the IAC Coaching Masteries™ is to provide the basis and standards for a truly independent certifying body, without allegiance to any coach training schools or organizations. Our goal is to create a vehicle for evaluating effective coaching in the moment. Specifically, the IAC certification focuses on masterful coaching skills that are observable and can be measured by our certifiers during recorded, half-hour sessions with two different clients.
The IAC Coaching Masteries™ were developed by an international team of coaches with the aim to produce clear standards and measures for what constitutes the highest level of coaching, and that can be understood in any culture around the world.
Below is a description of the Masteries including the Titles, Definitions, Effects and Key Elements. The links (for members only) provide a listing of the Distinctions, Effective Behaviours, Ineffective Behaviours, Measures, Common Mistakes Coaches Make and Indicators the Coach Understands the Mastery for each Mastery that are used to assess the level of coaching mastery that happens within a coaching session.
The complete IAC Coaching Masteries E-book is available to IAC Members here and can be purchased on-line by non-members for $27.
The IAC offers a licensing agreement for coach mentors and coaching schools wishing to incorporate the IAC Coaching Masteries™ into their programs and/or to assist coaching mentees or students with IAC certification.
1. Establishing and maintaining a relationship of trust
Ensuring a safe space and supportive relationship for personal growth, discovery and transformation
1. The client is open to sharing and receiving.
2. The client perceives the coach as his or her personal advocate.
3. The client sees transformation and growth as manageable.
4. The client has realistic expectations of results and responsibilities of coaching.
1. Mutual respect and acceptance.
2. Confidence and reassurance.
3. The client feels safe to tell his or her deepest fears without judgment.
2. Perceiving, affirming and expanding the client’s potential.
The coach recognizes and helps the client to acknowledge and appreciate his or
her strengths and potential.
1. The client has greater appreciation of his or her capabilities and potential.
2. The client is more willing to take actions beyond his or her current paradigms.
1. Being in empathy with the client.
2. Recognizing a wider range of possibilities.
3. Encouraging and empowering the client.
4. Challenging limiting beliefs.
5.Recognizing strengths of client and awareness of where strengths support personal and organizational goals (where appropriate).
3. Engaged listening
Give full attention to the words, nuances, and unspoken meaning of the client's communication and is more deeply aware of the client by listening beyond what the client is able to articulate.
1. The client feels understood and validated—not judged.
2. The client communicates more effortlessly and resourcefully.
1. The coach focuses on what the client expresses, both verbally and nonverbally.
2. The coach listens beyond what the client articulates.
3. The coach is alert to discrepancies between what the client is saying (words) and the client’s behavior and/or emotions.
4. Processing in the present
Focus full attention on the client, processing information at the level of the mind, body, heart and/or spirit, as appropriate. The coach expands the client’s awareness of how to experience thoughts and issues on these various levels, when and as appropriate. The coach utilizes what is happening in the session itself (client’s behavior, patterns, emotions, and the relationship between coach and client, etc.) to assist the client toward greater self-awareness and positive, appropriate action.
1. The client is free to express and engage with present reality.
2. The client is unencumbered by past or future preoccupations or concerns.
3. The client benefits from coaching insight and support on all levels.
4. The coach is highly attuned to subtle communications from the client.
1. The coach is aware of the dynamics occurring within the session, within the client, and between coach and client, and understands how the dynamics are affecting the client and the coaching.
2. The coach has a simultaneous and holistic awareness of the client’s communications at all levels.
3. The coach is able to discern whether the client is communicating from the past, present or future.
4. The coach allows the client the opportunity to process and clarify the coach’s questions and comments.
5. The coach allows the client the opportunity to process his or her own thoughts and responses.
Attention and awareness to how the coach communicates commitment, direction, intent, and ideas – and the effectiveness of this communication.
1. The coaching interaction is enhanced with the client being at ease and trusting.
2. The client is open to understanding and/or questioning any communication from the coach.
Reduce/eliminate confusion or uncertainty; increase understanding and the confidence of the client.
1. The client and the coach move forward in a more directed way.
2. Increased possibilities.
3. Decreased uncertainty.
4. Uncovering the unknown.
1. Identify the most important issue while respecting client’s preferences and limitations.
2. No judgment by the coach, no leading toward a particular destination.
3. Identify key values and needs.
4. Facilitate alignment of purpose, vision and mission.
5. Identify blocks to progress.
7. Helping the client set and keep clear intentions
Keeps the client focused and working towards intended goals.
1. The client feels capable.
2. The client is clear about what he or she wants to achieve or transform.
3. The client is inspired by the possibilities.
4. The client moves forward purposefully.
1. Inquiring into the client’s intentions and goals.
2. Time spent on what is most important.
3. Clarifying direction of progress.
4. Periodically reviewing, revising and/or celebrating the process and intentions.
8. Inviting possibility
Creating an environment that allows ideas, options and opportunities to emerge.
1. The coach enables expansion of thoughts and actions.
2. The client’s awareness is expanded.
3. The coach helps client transcend barriers.
4. The client is willing to leave his/her comfort zone.
5. The client has more options.
1. Trust, openness, curiosity, courage, and recognition of potential.
2. The coach and the client communicate through exploration and discovery.
3. Identify “internal” possibilities (e.g., personal greatness, higher purpose) and “external” possibilities (e.g., resources, memes).
4. Possibilities are generated by the coach, the client or a collaboration of the two.
9. Helping the client create and use supportive systems and structures
Helping the client identify and build the relationships, tools, systems and structures he or she needs to advance and sustain progress.
The client is confident and secure in moving forward, knowing that resources are available or can be created.
1. The coach suggests possible support systems and structures appropriate to the client’s needs.
2. The coach prompts the client to identify support systems and structures the client has but is not utilizing effectively.
3. The coach assists the client to identify areas in which the client feels a need for support and structure.
4. The client understands the value of appropriate support systems.
5. The client’s progress toward their goals or intentions is more sustainable.
© 2007 International Association of Coaching.
All use, reproduction, distribution and modification of these materials is subject to the terms and conditions of the license available at
Mr. Andi Chaidir & Mr. Drs. Adi Widagdo (Managing Director of OTTO Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd)
Coach DAC - Dr. Andi Chaidir, S.Si, MBA, Ph.D. Dengan Total Pengalaman Lebih Dari 33 Tahun di Bidang Pengembangan Sumber Daya Manusia di Berbagai Organisasi Dan Perusahaan Siap Membantu Anda Dalam Menemukan SOLUSI Untuk Mencapai TUJUAN Anda. Untuk Informasi Lebih Lengkap dan Konsultasi Gratis Silahkan Menghubungi Coach DAC di Nomor +6288990909888 (WA, Call, SMS, Telegram) atau mengirim pesan pada Formulir Kontak Disamping Ini. Terimakasih. Salam Sukses Sejahtera Sehat Sukacita Selamat Selalu.
Kamis, 17 September 2009
THE IAC COACHING MASTERIES™
Diposkan oleh Coach DAC - Dr. Andi Chaidir, S.Si, MBA, Ph.D. di 02.31